One of the most basic parts of taking care of a cat is litter box upkeep. The litter box must be cleaned regularly so we felines have a pleasant place to do our daily business.
Just like you humans, who like to have a clean bathroom each time you use the toilet, we cats, being very clean animals, also like to have a litter box that is free of waste and foul odours.
Here we will tell you how to take care of your cat by cleaning her litter box through a few simple steps, as well as how often you have to repeat the process to properly care for her sanitary area.
How frequently do you have to clean the litter box?
For us to be able to access our litter box without difficulty, you should clean it regularly. This frequency mostly depends on what type of cat litter you use (clumping cat litters require more upkeep than the absorbent kind), but other aspects also need to be taken into consideration. The cat, the home and the location of the litter box are also important factors. Cleaning it is a relatively quick procedure that allows you to prevent foul odours from building up in your home.
How to clean the litter box
There are 5 simple steps to cleaning a litter box.
- Completely empty the box of litter, removing solid and liquid waste. This might be easier if you use some paper towels.
- Fill the litter box with soap and warm water, letting it soak for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove the water and clean the surfaces of the litter box with a brush or sponge. Be sure to dry it completely.
- Refill the litter box with new litter and place the litter box where the cat usually uses it.
- Clean the area around the litter box. Remove any dust the litter gives off when your cat uses her litter box, as well as any remnants of dirt or waste on the floor. It’s that easy!
How about you? Are you cleaning your cat’s litter box properly?