Black and white cats are undeniably glamorous. Despite changing fashion trends, this striking design remains as popular as ever. Here’s everything you need to know about these dashing felines!
Black and white / Tuxedo / Bicolor Coat
These cats are called black and white because they have bold black and white markings. Tuxedo cats are typically associated with the complementary coat markings that give them a formal look, which is where the name comes from. Mixed-breed domestic cats can also have black and white markings.
The reason why cats develop this coat color is due to a gene, which causes the black cat to have white spots on its body. The gene we mention is related to the dominant “S alleles”, which determine the development of white spots in the cat. When their gene is dominant SS, they have a whiter coat, mostly in strips. But when it is recessive SS, the opposite happens; they have a smaller white coat, but more spots than others.
On the other hand, males have only one gene, which causes them to have a darker coat, like the tuxedo pattern; while females have two genes and usually have a whiter coat and more spots, for example, cow patterns.
You can find the following patterns:
- Bicolor pattern antifaz or mask: They have a kind of permanent mask on their face, which makes them look mysterious. The back and tail are black and the rest of the body is usually white.
- Bicolor saddle pattern: It has black color from the neck, all the back to the hip, and it has that name because it simulates having a saddle on its body. Its legs and feet are white.
- Two-color tuxedo pattern: The most common of all the patterns we mentioned, it appears to have a formal suit over its body. That is, it has a dense black coat, but on its chest it has white color.
- Cow pattern: It has spots around its body, which are scattered like dairy cows.
- Van pattern: The black color is limited to two areas of the body, they are not scattered like the other types. They are usually found on the head, between the ears and the tail as a whole. There are many variants of the Van pattern, for example, the patches are on tail and legs, or head and legs.
For centuries, white cats have been considered to be good luck charms. In many cultures, they are thought to bring prosperity and good fortune to their owners. White cats are also often seen as symbols of purity and innocence.
If you’re thinking about getting a white cat, do some research first to make sure you understand the specific needs of this type of feline. White cats are prone to certain health problems, such as deafness and skin cancer. They also require regular grooming to keep their coats looking pristine.
Whether you believe in the superstitions or not, there’s no denying that white cats are beautiful creatures. If you’re lucky enough to have one in your life, cherish them and take care of them always.
If you are looking for a name for your feline, visit our blog ‘15 Most Popular Names For White Cats’ where we put some names with their meaning that can be ideal for your new pet.
There’s something spooky about black cats. Maybe it’s because they’re often associated with bad luck, or maybe it’s because they just look so darn cool. Either way, black cats are one of the most popular types of cats out there.
Black cats are often associated with witches, bad luck, and death. However, in some cultures, black cats are considered to be good luck charms. White cats are often associated with purity, innocence, and good fortune. However, in some cultures, white cats are considered to be bad luck charms.
If you’re thinking about getting a black cat, there are a few things you should know. First of all, they require a little bit more care than other cats. This is because their fur can often get dry and brittle, so you’ll need to make sure you groom them regularly.
Secondly, black cats are known for being independent and aloof. They’re not the cuddly type, so don’t expect them to be all over you all the time. That said, they can make great companions if you give them the space they need.
So, if you’re looking for a unique and stylish cat that’s also low-maintenance, a black cat might be the perfect choice for you!
Although there are many theories about what a cat’s coat color may mean, the truth is that we don’t know for sure. However, it is generally believed that a black and white coat signifies balance and harmony. So, if you have a black and white cat, congratulations — you’ve got yourself a little bit of feline magic in your life!